The French President commented that Europe needed a European Army to defend itself from Russia and the USA.
That tells you all you need to know about how out of touch the French President is.
- None of the European countries today are satisfying their previous defense agreements to spend 2% of their GDP on defense. And somehow they are going to fund a whole new army? Fat chance. What it really will be is another EU bureaucracy full of officers and HQ staff and no troops.
- I’m totally in favor of this effort. There is something “nationalistic” about Europeans defending Europe instead of just expecting America to do it.
- If I were Trump, I would offer the French our bases in Germany as locations for the new EU Army and Air forces. And they can move into the NATO HQ facilities. We will move out and get out of their way, wishing them Bon Chance. I love watching loud-mouthed politicians live with the consequences of getting exactly what they asked for. Pulling the US military out of Europe will cut off tens of thousands of high paying defense jobs that are currently paid by the US taxpayer.
- The USA is not a military threat to Europe. So, the right size military force to combat that threat is a military band, a 4 star general, and a secretary to bring the general coffee. And she had better be hot too, because French 4 star generals are still allowed to sexually harass their employees.
- Russia is not a military threat to France. But they ARE possibly a cyber-threat to France. So the right size of defense is for the French Army to hire McAfee to upgrade their Windows Operating Systems and remind them to stop surfing porn on their government networks.
- Note to French President: Check your maps. Russia IS Europe. Maybe they will join your army.