I have been watching this with great interest. Here are my thoughts for consideration:
- What Twitter did in influencing the election was unfair, but not illegal and should have been expected all along. It is perfectly acceptable for people to use their private corporations to benefit causes they support, including political causes. There is no law preventing this nor would any such law be possible. Sort of like why Democrats in the Senate were totally against any Catholics being on the Supreme Court.
- For elements of the US government, privately, to collude with Twitter, etc in their “influencing the election”, is a blatant violation of law on the part of each and every person who participated.
- For elements of the US government to take part in an election and attempt to sway it’s outcome is also a clear violation of law. But since if you win the election, you get to enforce the law (or fail to), we get a system where some people are above the law. This has been objectively true since the Obama administration. And in the trump administration, we discovered that nearly all of the high ranking bureaucrats in DC, regardless of administration, are loyal to the Democrats.
- When you are trying to win public office it is you fault if you do not understand the political and public terrain well enough to understand that your political enemies in Twitter and facebook will actually be working against you.
- To the Extent that Twitter and Facebook edited information to influence the election, they violated no laws. But the Democratic party and it’s candidates did violate campaign finance laws by not claiming those in kind contributions that amounted to the equivalent of BILLIONS of dollars worth of free advertising. But again, if they win teh election, and have thousands of supporters working at the FEC, DoJ, and FBI, there is no possibility of this law being enfodrced.
- It is a natural and predictable path that FB and Twitter would use their hidden algorithms to guide the election outcomes. Newspapers have been doing it since print was invented. Radio and TV have been doing it since Marconi.
- Such “collusion” is unstoppable. No laws will prevent it. This is why it was absurd on its face for the Democrats to go all in on the Russian Collusion story, instead of trying to nail Trump on something that was real and an actual violation of law. Remember, all of the national media covered that story as if it were real. All of them similarly covered over the Biden Laptop story. All of the national media twisted the Ukraine phone call as if it were a crime for Trump to ask Ukraine to investigate corruption, instead of focusing on Biden BEING CORRUPT.
- To the extent that Twitter and FB users paid for political advertising in targeted time zones and locations and did not get them, this would be a violation of law and contract on the part of FB and Twitter as the deep pockets, but also naming the corporate execs who made the decisions to do that. In Democratic speak, it’s Ok to refuse to bake a cake for the gay couple wedding if you refuse to take the order, but not if you took their deposit and then don’t tell them until the last minute.
I still don’t know why any adult has Twitter.
But since the democrats no longer need voters, it hardly matters how much influence Twitter and FB do.
Yup. Not much else to say. Got to say I’m enjoying watching the left freak out about how Musk’s purchase it pushing us over the edge into a totalitarian state after ten years of smugly pointing out that private companies can do what they want. I’m a firm believer in the philosophy that if you want to know what the left is doing, check out what they are loudly accusing others of doing.
I’m a believer that the left believes nothing is out of bounds if it gets them what they want.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I stopped using Twitter because it got too depressing to see how many of my fellow Americans were stupid, evil or insane.
I stopped blogging because I realized I was just commenting on the same stupidity, evil or insanity, over and over.
Incredible, huh? Every intricate, miraculous step in our evolution, from the beginning of the universe to the present, just to arrive at an equilibrium of stupidity, evil and insanity sufficient to enable enough self-interested people to pile up wealth from it, and bequeath the stupid/evil/insane system to the next generation of self-interested people.