A new TV series for those people who love medical shows. This one is a fictional NYC hospital, called “New Amsterdam”, based on real life hospital Bellevue. There are so many things wrong with this series that I will have to use numbers.
- Over the top PC. The show has a mostly young cast even though they all play people who are at the height of their medical practice careers. This includes the lead role of the medical director. The chief of the Cardiac section is a black man. The chief of the ER is a white woman. The chief of Psychiatry is a gay man who is married and has an adopted daughter from Asia. The chief oncologist is a 30-ish black woman. Male nurse with a skin art fetish. And just when you thought it couldn’t get more over the top… they bring in a midget doctor working in the ER. The real life hospital, you will be happy to know, is run by a bunch of middle-aged to older white guys.
- The black heart surgeon gets caught up in a “scandal” that he doesn’t want to get out. It turns out, it was just “driving while black” and nothing he did at all. So, not a scandal. he gets a task to rebuild his department. So he hires all black female heart surgeons. He justifies it as “no one else will give them a chance”. Seriously? In America in 2019, skilled heart surgeons can’t find jobs?
- The Black oncologist has a heart-wrenching moment with a woman patient who is losing her hair due to Chemo. She says something condescending about the patient being more than just her hair and discusses how wigs are really not a good option. This is from a woman who literally glues other people’s hair onto her own head all the time.
4. In one episode, they discover that some patients are “frequent flyers” and hogging medical resources. One homeless man comes in every few days and costs the hospital $1.4 million every year. So, the hospital gives him an apartment, so he has someplace else to go. It doesn’t work, and he comes to the emergency room anyway charging up more expenses that he will never pay. So the hospital gives him a job, showing people around. The guy is homeless, not because he can’t find a job. He is homeless because he is permanently unemployable because he is NUTS. He can’t function in the society the rest of us live in. The show doesn’t mention that in real life, word would quickly get around that the way to get a free apartment in NYC is to overload the emergency room.
5. The whole point of the show is that modern medicine is too “money focused” and if doctors just cared more about patients, everything would work out. They even have a few sermons about how health care should be publicly funded (like they are, even though they are constantly on the brink of bankruptcy).
6. The lead character doesn’t seem to have any idea what it takes to actually run a hospital. He spends 110% of his time, fixing minor issues as if they are the most important things and ignoring the 2 thousand people who work for him. He even went out on house calls to homeless people at a time when his own hospital was being inundated with patients because of a huge emergency situation. The guy has zero time management skills and no ability to prioritize. He even recommends multiple times that his doctors participate in various forms of insurance fraud in order to “help patients”. He doesn’t discuss how many patients are helped by doctors who get put in jail.
7. The leader of the ER department is addicted to uppers. It just keeps her going and she learned how in Med school because she needed it there too. And no one sees this as a problem. She swears that she is straight now and everyone should trust her. In a career field that deals with addicts every day, NO ONE SHOULD TRUST HER. They all know that addicts cannot be trusted.
8. In another episode, the hospital director ignores his duty to “run the hospital” and goes to do house calls with homeless people. They are a family of three that became homeless in Ohio because they lost their farm. How does a family that is homeless in Ohio wind up on the streets in NYC? It’s not even good writing. Then, once they are homeless and have nothing, they won’t go into the “free” hospital because they fear getting a huge bill that will put them in debt. What on earth are these writers smoking?