Our electoral system in this country is broken. I have remarked on this before.
I have also mentioned a year ago what a candidate needs to do to get a slam dunk victory. Only one candidate has taken my advice and he is winning big despite his obvious flaws.
Here is what I would do to fix the electoral system in America.
- Eliminate the electoral college. This is an anti-democratic anachronism and grants voting power to states based on the number of illegal alien residents they had in the last census, thus weakening the voting power of citizens.
- Only citizens vote.
- The Census counts only citizens for apportionment. It may also count non-citizens as non-citizens just so we know how many of them are here.
- Congressmen are elected “at large” in their states. So, no districts. No district maps. no gerrymandering. Perfect representation of the demographics and ideology of the state.
- Eliminate the Senate. Right now it is just a redundant house, with a petty aristocracy running it.
- National ID. If you don’t have one, you don’t vote. Voting machines are keyed to your ID so election workers can’t vote for you (ahem… hanging chad…).
- Primaries for parties are held on the same day nation-wide, 60 days before the general election.
- If you vote for a candidate in the primary and he wins, your vote is automatically cast for that same person in the general election. This will eliminate the cross party registrations we see today.
- Eliminate party registration as a requirement for voting in the primary. Point 8 above eliminates the need for it. You can still of course join a political party if you want to get their spam and invitations to donate money to them. That is called freedom of association.
- Once you are voted out of office, you no longer have any power. No lame duck sessions. With modern travel and technology, the winner should take power effective immediately. Nothing good happens with losers exercising those powers after the the voters have declared “you don’t deserve this any longer”.
- Vote the Supreme Court Justices. 6 year terms. This will prevent extremist of any stripe from monopolizing the bench.