The world is going to hell in a handbasket. It always has been. But that doesn’t mean we should all just slit our own throats and say goodbye. In my own solid attempt to make the world a better place, I am posting a few theological notes so that the lost may be found. Sadly, this blog has only a small fraction of the traffic of the one I killed off last year and that also was a small fraction of the one before. So, to you three people who still regularly come here, enjoy! If you go to hell because you followed my advice, don’t come crying to me. Every man’s soul is his own. Take care of yours yourself. If you are a child reading this, STOP RIGHT THERE AND GTFO THE INTERNET. I do not need that on my conscience.
Og, you can sit this one out. You get constructive credit for course work already completed.
- No Virginia, There is no Santa Clause. But there is a God. He has a name and an address. He has a history and He has revealed His divine presence to humanity on thousands of occasions (not counting Mormon occasions, which we all know were total bullshit).
- I know I am supposed to believe in the Trinity but I got to tell you, that whole three in one thing is pretty hard to grasp. And writing it off as a miraculous magic is not a very compelling argument. For Heaven’s sake, PLEASE don’t try to explain it to me in the comments. I really have done my homework and have heard the arguments and explanations. Hearing them “one more time” is just not going to do it for me. But I think I can avoid Hell if I just admit, “I don’t understand this part”.
- There is no evidence to suppose that the modern state of Israel is in any way related to the ancient state of Israel. There is no reason to believe with certainty that any Bible prophesy relating to “Israel” refers to the modern state as it currently exists. The modern Christian church has created a mandatory affiliation with that state as if there were a Biblical mandate. There is not. Modern Israel != Biblical Israel.
- There is no biblical mandate to meet every week in a specially dedicated building with a paid staff of professional “clergy”. None. There are no Biblical mandates to pass a plate. None to have a choir. None to have a weekly sermon. What there IS in the Bible is a very specific admonition to “remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy”. All that driving around, turning on lights and air conditioning, collecting money and making deposits, as well as other activities like caring for other people’s children all looks suspiciously a LOT like working on the Sabbath.
- The Building is not the Church. The institution is not the Church. The Pastor is not the Church. The Church, is the body of all believers.
- Even when Israel had a physical temple, in which dwelt the physical presence of God, everyone in the land didn’t go visit Him every week. It simply would not have been possible. The human body, in good condition, traveling well maintained highways, can only travel 20 miles in a day by foot, and he will be exhausted at the end of that. So, unless you were one of those lucky few who lived within 2-3 miles of the temple, you never went. EVER.
- The Holy Bible is called “Holy” because it has “holy” things written in it, not because the pages, paper, ink or bindings are magical. It is just a book. It was written by human hands, machine printing presses, and even digital media. Nothing special. No magic. It cannot heal or drive out demons. There are no secret codes buried deep inside the arrangements of the words. These are translations of translations. It would not be possible to preserve such magical codes across such language barriers even going from NKJV to NISV. So just read what is there and accept it in the plan language it is written. You don’t need a degree in theology to understand it. Though a degree in theology might give you a deeper appreciation for what you are reading.
- The least important book of the Bible is Revelations. (Yes, there IS a least important book). No one understands this book. It doesn’t mean anything to us. Some day it might. There is NOTHING in Christianity that tells us that we should all be living like the world is going to end tomorrow. So stop doing it.
- There is no reason at all for Christians in the USA to travel to Mexico to spread the Gospel. MEXICO IS 95% CHRISTIAN. The same is true of most of the rest of the world. Everywhere in the world, there are already Christians living there.
I have more but I need to think about them some more before putting them out there.