Dennis Hastert, Former Speaker of the House of Representatives has been indicted on charges that only a tax lawyer can understand.
1. I see no wrong doing here.
2. It was his own money and he was giving it to someone of his own free will, for reasons that are no one else’s business.
3. The law he ran afoul of was created to help pinch drug smugglers and their huge cash transactions. No one is suggesting that Hastert was doing anything illegal with his own money. It was his money, already in his bank. He was withdrawing it to give it away to people of his own choosing.
4. I notice that the article never once mentions his party. Just a coincidence that former Republican big wigs get indicted on financial laws that no one understands? This happened recently to another big Republican (Tom Delay) with campaign finance where he moved moeny around from one group to another, just like EVERYONE does. But not everyone has a special prosecutor looking through their records to find stuff like this.
5. This is just one more case where the laws themselves are taking on a life of their own, and being used for purposes that they were never intended.
6. Perhaps congress shouldn’t pass laws that are so complicated that they can’t even understand them.