This news has been circulating for a while. it seems the BATFE under the Obama administration has decided to relabel the M855 ammunition (5.56mm), aka “green tip” as an armor piercing round and thus remove it from the civilian marketplace.
The “logic goes” that with the advent of AR-15 pistols (shortened rifles with no stocks) that use the same ammo as full sized rifles, that the common ammo now becomes armor piercing pistol ammo. And it seems that police are in particular danger of being killed by armor piercing pistol ammo, but not the same ammo fired from a rifle.
1. As has been pointed out, this ammo has never been used to kill a police officer. Ever. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t be some day. Anything is possible. But mostly, criminals use pistols to kill police. Pistols that use pistol ammo. Not pistols that are twice the weight and size of other pistols.
2. The only likely scenario where police might be endangered by green tip ammo is if/when they show up at someone’s front door to collect such ammo. This is not me threatening the police. This is a prediction, based on my limited knowledge of human behavior. Go looking for trouble. Find trouble. Act surprised.
3. I really like the Green tip ammo. I find it highly reliable and accurate as far as store-bought ammo goes. Since I like it, I bought a bunch the last time the price dropped below 50 cents each. So, I don’t really care if the govt bans this ammo. I have plenty. I strongly suspect I am not alone in this. And now I want more.
4. Lesson for other ammo buyers. If you haven’t learned to stockpile your own ammo yet, just to protect you from surges in price and shortages due to binge buying, every time a politician opens his mouth, when are you going to learn?
5. I remember this same hysteria a few years ago when the gun nuts on the internet were claiming that the Obama administration had outlawed lead and closed up the last lead smelting factory in the USA. But ammo is still plentiful and cheap (except 22LR).
6. It is highly likely that the sole purpose of this announcement is to gather the names and addresses of people who are likely to protest this. There is a strong possibility those people have AR-15 rifles. Thus, people are participating voluntarily in a form of stealth national gun registration. When you fill out on line petitions, give money to on line gun advocacy groups, WRITE TO THE GOVERNMENT (like to your congress critter or directly to the BATFE to complain), you are in effect filling out a card for your file that says, “I have a weapon of interest and here is my home address”. Thank you for playing.